Bible Study: The Divine Service- The Service of the Word, Offering
Opening Hymn: LSB 656:1 A Mighty Fortress is Our God
Creed (Back Cover)
Lord’s Prayer (Back Cover)
The Service of the Word
The Offertory, Offering, and Prayer of the Church
1. The Offertory
a. Where are the words of the offertory from?
i. Psalm 51, the words of David
ii. What is the circumstance?
iii. Why these words then?
1. “It is an evidence that the Word, just heard, has been appropriated by us and has become effective in us. In the Offertory we offer ourselves to God that He may cleanse our hearts from sin, deepen our faith, and prepare us for the reception of the Visible Word in the Holy Sacrament.”
2. The Offering
a. Why do we give offerings to God?
i. Do they make us holy before him (as in the OT)?
ii. No, they are our response to his gifts to us.
1. Where have we received these gifts so far?
2. In the Divine Service of absolution, readings and proclamation of the word
iii. Having received his grace, we respond by offering of ourselves to him
1. It is our faith borne out in works
2. As Paul says, “Present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.” Roms. 12:1
3. So, present the fruits of your labors to God.