Bible Study: Service of the Sacrament Administration
The Service of the Sacrament
1. The Lord’s Prayer
a. Why here in the service and not earlier, with the prayers, or Creed?
i. Because of it’s sacred nature
1. The prayer given to us by Jesus himself
2. The perfect prayer, given by the Truth himself
ii. It is a final preparation of hearts for believers to receive the sacrament
1. We call upon God as Father
2. We ask for all of the benefits we have been promised as heirs
b. Is it part of the consecration?
1. This is clearly not the purpose of the Lord’s Prayer
2. It isn’t the purpose of prayer in general
c. What options does the rubric give?
i. Why would we have the pastor sing or say the prayer?
1. It’s the same principle used throughout, that the pastor voice the prayers of the people
2. They then respond with the conclusion and amen.
ii. The congregation may also speak or sing the entire prayer
1. The keeps it clear that these words aren’t part of the consecration
2. Allows the faithful to pray the prayer they know best
2. The Words of Institution
a. Where do we find these words?
i. Matthew, Mark, Luke, and 1 Corinthians