Bible Study: The Rock of the Church
Opening Hymn: LSB 557 Seek Where You May, To Find a Way
Creed (Back Cover)
Lord’s Prayer (Back Cover)
1) The Signs of the Times
a) Why did the Pharisees and Sadducees come to Jesus?
i) What were they thinking about already?
ii) What have they missed?
b) What sign will they get?
i) What does “the sign of Jonah” mean? (Hint: Jesus explained this in Ch. 12)
ii) What does Jesus do at the end of the conversation?
c) What does leaven do?
i) How much does it take to work?
ii) What was the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees?
(1) How does this connect to the great feeding miracles?
(2) How does this connect to the church and her dealing with false teaching?
2) The Great Confession
a) Why does Jesus ask the question?
i) What does Peter say?
(1) Who gave him this great confession?
(a) Why must it be this way?
(b) What does Christ mean?
(2) Upon what will Christ build the church?
ii) What does Jesus give to the church?
(1) What do the keys do?
(2) Who exercises them?
(3) How are the exercised?
b) What does Peter say next?
i) How does this contradict what he’d just confessed?
(1) Explain why Jesus calls Peter “Satan”
(2) What is the will of Satan?
ii) How must all who desire eternal life be like Jesus?
(1) What do we give up?
(2) What do we receive?
Closing Prayer: Luther’s Morning Prayer, pg. 327