Bible Study: The Crucifixion
Opening Hymn: LSB
Creed (Back Cover)
Lord’s Prayer (Back Cover)
a) What’s Pilate’s demeanor through the whole ordeal? Why?
i) What is Pilate trying to do the whole time?
ii) How does Pilate feel about Jesus? Does He believe in Him?
b) Finally, who does Pilate side with? Why?
2) The Crucifixion
a) What’s behind the mocking of the soldiers and chief priests?
i) How does this help put Jesus and His kingdom into context for us?
(1) How does the sign the sign they place above His head make the same point?
(2) Do we take any solace in this?
ii) These Jews demand one more sign. What is it?
(1) Do they believe when they see it?
(2) How does this fulfill what Jesus says earlier about the “Sign of Jonah?”
b) Why does the Father forsake the Son?
i) What does this mean for us?
ii) How does Jesus finally die? Is there anything significant about this?
c) What’s the scene after Jesus dies?
i) What do these things mean?
(1) Earth quake and rocks split
(2) Temple curtain torn in two
(3) Dead raised
ii) How do the faithful respond to these signs?
Closing Prayer: Luther’s Morning Prayer, pg. 327